Saturday 8 January 2011

An oldie but goodie

One of the items I lugged across the Atlantic was my Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook.  I have the 1996 edition.

It was a gift from my mother and it is in regular use in my house, especially when I am missing some of my favourite American recipes.  Although touted as a basic cookbook  (---it will tell you how to make cakes, muffins, pies, soups, roasts, etc), it has some really modern and interesting items too. 

The recipes which get used the most in our house include:

Busy-Day  Cake with Broiled Coconut Topping.  In fact if I have friends over for a barbecue or party they demand it!  It is super quick because it is made in one bowl and you can do it with only one measuring cup and one measuring spoon if you want to.  My other favourite cake in here is the Hot Milk Sponge.  I used to make it a lot in college using whole wheat flour and it was always wonderful!

Wild Rice Stuffing  This is a very different stuffing and the only one we ever have in our house.

There are also a number of grain casseroles and salads we like a lot, such as Mixed Grain Casserole and Cabbage Rolls with Bulgar and Vegetables.  It is hard to find them elsewhere.  I am constantly using the recipes for Puffed Oven Pancake, Baking Powder Biscuits and Muffins.  You can make many muffin variations.  I change the type of flour I use sometimes and add fresh, frozen or dried fruits as well as oatmeal.

No comments:

Post a Comment