You will need:
Fillet of fish per person
one small tomato, sliced
Salmon seasoning (optional)
glass dish or silicone fish steamer
plastic wrap (if using glass dish), or tight fitting lid
- Place the slices of onion and tomato on the bottom of your glass dish, making them as flat as possible.
- Place fillets of fish on top of the vegetables.
- Add a bay leaf and some peppercorns and seasoning if using.
- Cover the dish with plastic wrap and microwave for a minute and a half.
- Check to see if fish is cooked through. Add more time, half a minute at a time, depending on the power of your microwave. You may need more time if you are doing two or more fillets at once. Many microwaves have automatic "fish" settings these days which will take this guesswork out for you. (One salmon fillet in my microwave takes 1.5 minutes). You want fish which is opaque through. Since it is steamed it should also be moist.
- Be careful when checking and serving because the steam is hot!
- Serve with ugali, rice or new potatoes and vegetables.