It is best to use older bread for this dish. Any bread will do. Any milk will do as well. I lived off of this during my university years. It was Ezekiel bread and soy milk in those days!
You will need:
Two slices of bread per person
1 egg for 3-5 slices, 2 eggs for more
Half a mug of milk, or more as needed
Pinch of nutmeg (or cinnamon or pepper)
To serve: maple syrup and butter, or cinnamon sugar, or jam
- Break the egg(s) into a shallow dish, such as a pie pan. Beat well.
- Add milk, spice and mix well.
- Soak each slice of bread in egg mixture.
- Fry in a non-stick pan over medium heat. Or fry in oil/butter if you prefer.
- The toast should be browned slightly on each side and cooked through.
- Serve warm.