Monday 10 January 2011

Abundance

Although I would say that I am fairly good with money, I have found in the past when I try to be really strict with it I fail miserably.  I feel blessed with simple tastes and by this simple fact alone have managed to save for things when I needed them, because it sure wasn't my will power!

I think that just like dieting, setting strict limits on spending can have a negative effect on the psyche.  Sure, I have a few days of optimism, until I hit the grocery store and end up spending another £60 at the till.  My two areas of overspending are on groceries and stuff for the kids (dvds, toys, books).  And so to help me get into the right mindset for the next few months I am undertaking an exercise in abundance.

I am almost embarrassed to admit just how much food we already have in the house.  Especially when I know there are so many people out there who don't have much.  And to sit and complain seems a bit strange.  But I guess this may be the point of the exercise.  I am imagining my pantry now and I am going to list all of the things I can make with the ingredients on hand.

  • Pancakes
  • Bread
  • Muffins---oatmeal, blueberry
  • Cottage Pie
  • Turkey meatloaf
  • Turkey and Apple Sausages
  • Pasta with pesto or tomato sauce
  • 1/4 of a lamb in the freezer can make many dishes
  • Chicken stir fry, and chicken soup from yesterday's roast chicken
  • sukumawiki
  • ugali, rice, semolina, barley, quinoa, bulghur wheat
  • oatmeal
  • Sushi
  • Apple crumble
  • Apple pie
  • Cookies
  • Cakes
  • Clam chowder
  • Frittatta
  • Cheese sandwiches
  • Bread and Butter Pudding
  • Ice Cream Sundaes
  • Cereal
  • Potato Latkes
  • Sweet Potato Oven chips
  • Zege
  • Bean Soups
  • A number of vegetable dishes
  • Kebab with flatbread and veg and meat
  • Samosas
Now I won't make all of these right away and there are plenty more things I could add--especially if I dig to the bottom of my chest freezer.  But I do feel reassured that I can feed my family this week without stepping foot in a shop.  And probably next week too.  (Though I think I will venture out to buy milk, eggs, and onions when I run out).

No comments:

Post a Comment