Sunday 26 December 2010

Spicy Pancakes

We love pancakes for breakfast and have them most Sundays.  Here in the UK thin, crepe style pancakes are popular.  I grew up having the traditional thicker, American pancakes.  I actually prefer the thinner version, but we make a variety.  Sometimes it just depends on my 4 year old and how much flour he puts in.  We eyeball the amounts because we do it a lot.

I love pancakes with lemon juice and sugar.  My son prefers a fake maple syrup called Mrs. Butterworths which I picked up in a shop which sells American stuff.  A while ago I decided to stir things up a bit so we started adding spices.

I use a great new pan I bought at Lakeland which has a granite like surface.  You don't need any oil, but I now put some in the batter.  No one is allowed to use this pan for anything else.  I was really tired of finding my pancake pan smelling like onions or spicy fried fish.  So this one is strictly off limits!

Pancake batter:

Makes 4-6 depending on size

Take one large mug of flour
the same mug of milk
an egg
pinch of salt
1/4-1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/4-1/2 teaspoon of cardamon
2 teaspoons of oil

Stir well to remove lumps.  Fry in a non-stick pan.  Use a bit of oil if necessary to prevent sticking.

Use self-rising flour if you prefer thicker, fluffier pancakes.  If you prefer thinner ones, add more milk.  I sometimes adjust the batter after my first pancake depending on what I want on the day.  The recipe can easily be doubled or tripled.

No comments:

Post a Comment