Friday 24 December 2010

Brick Doorstop Craft Project


This project was completely free.  If you use an old brick, try to give it a brush or scrub.




You will need:

  • Brick
  • Bubble Wrap and packing tape
  • Fabric--preferably thick (I used an old wool blanket)
  • Small scraps and buttons for decoration
  • Fusible web
  • glue gun or fabric glue
  • Floss, or thread (cotton)
  • Needle
  • Scissors
  • Iron

  1. Start by wrapping your brick with bubble wrap twice over and securing with tape. 
  2. Lay out your fabric and place the brick on top.  Measure out enough fabric to cover the sides.  You can cut some of the corners away to make it easier to sew later.  And cut another piece just larger than the brick to act as the bottom.  See picture.



3.  If you want to applique your decorations to the front now is the time to do it.  If you are using fusible web and/or glue, you can do it now or after you have sewn the fabric to the brick (making sure not to melt the plastic underneath with the iron).  Line the fabric carefully on the brick before you start to make sure your design is in the middle.  I chose hearts with buttons for my first.  I would like to do a row of houses or beach huts for my next one.  If using fusible web, follow the manufacturer's instructions. 

4.  Next, sew the fabric on the brick.  I used coloured embroidery floss on mine.  I really like the rustic, homemade look on mine and so I don't worry how neat it is.  It does however need to be sturdy enough to withstand a bashing as kids and pets walk into it or kick into place.


Additional thoughts:  For my next one I will definitely use some darker colours.  This gets knocked about and dirty as we use it every day.  This has been in place for about six months.  The buttons have come off and had to be replaced because I used glue.  I am not sure if the kids or the cats are to blame!  I will sew buttons from now on.  I am really looking forward to doing another.


No comments:

Post a Comment