Tuesday 21 December 2010

Cupcakes and Chai

We made some gorgeous cupcakes today which were flavoured with clementine juice.  I wasn't so sure how they would turn out, but they are some of the best we have made lately.  It is 10:45 and half of them are gone already. Again we used my son's new Christmas Baking Book from Usborne.  I am sure you could get similar results from adding grated clementine rind to your cupcake recipe.  When the cakes come out, spoon clementine juice over the cakes while they are still warm.  Ice when cool.

OH and I are having them with a cup of chai.

Our cheat's chai:

In your teapot, pop in a few regular English tea bags
8 cardamom pods
4 pieces of cinnamon bark (or one stick, broken)
a few cloves
optional: grated ginger, peppercorns, bay leaf

1-2 tablespoons of sugar, preferably demerara or similar

Boil the water, fill the teapot 1/2-3/4 full and let this steep for a good few minutes.
Heat a large mug of milk in the microwave for a minute.
Add to teapot and let steep until the tea tastes spicy and sweet
Adjust ingredients to suit your taste.

There are many variations on ingredients and methods, and we have tried many.  This is not as authentic, true, but is quick and easy and is great on a cold day.

I am still learning how to use the different tools on here, so I think I will try to post the photos from this morning's cooking session in a slide show. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment