Tuesday 29 March 2011

Ocado Delivery! and Vegetable Box Scheme

I am so excited to be getting my groceries delivered again!  Ocado put on a deal where you can get as many mid-week (Tues-Thurs) deliveries you want for £2.99 a month.  Or was it £3.99?  Cheap anyway.  Even if I only use it once or twice a month. 

So the groceries just came and just in time too because we have been running out of basics like eggs and fruit.  I nearly had to give my son ice cream for breakfast!  (He usually refuses oatmeal). 

The funny thing is though, that I actually struggled to fill my basket with £40 worth (the minimum order).  This is because I am trialing a new vegetable box scheme tomorrow.  The company I chose provides fruit, veg, meat, dairy, and pantry items.  So I am trying out their medium fruit and veg box, eggs, milk, chicken, beef, and sausages.  As a result I didn't want to put any of those items in my Ocado delivery.  If the veg box works out well, I may not need Ocado nearly as much.  The veg box scheme people have a minimum order of £25 for their meat products, which is certainly more meat than we eat in a week.  Or rather, more than we can afford in a week.  So I will have to weigh up the pros and cons of local, organic, expensive meat, versus Ocado's meat prices from not so local farms....

I am also thinking about trying a few different veg box schemes over the coming months.  To see which companies, produce, and prices I like the most.  I chose this one to try first because they sell dairy as well.

I am not sure that we will be self-sufficient in veg this year because I am too big and uncomfortable to dig in the garden at the moment, and I don't know how much I will get done with a small baby.  The nice thing about all of these schemes is that you can order for the weeks you want and stop when you need to.

No comments:

Post a Comment