Wednesday 23 March 2011

Bathroom Top Tips

  • Each family member, and the guest room, have their own colour towels and face cloths.  This way we know which towel to use---and also who left their towel on the floor.
  • Each family member also has their own cup or mug.  They can store their toothbrush and toothpaste in it (we use regular, sensitive, baby, and children's in our house).  Older folks are also responsible for rinsing out their own cup and keeping it clean.
  • The best way to remove soap scum from the tub is by using soap!  So we use a squirt of shower gel and a flannel which is heading for the laundry basket to give a quick clean every couple of days.  And the best thing is that I am no longer afraid to pop the kids in after in case their is a chemical residue from the traditional chemical cleaners.
  • I love face scrubs and body scrubs.  I even like to make my own.  But I hate scrubbing the grains out of the tub.  So we have a collection of loofah pads, scrubbing washcloths and the like.  They are cheaper overall and last for ages.  Some of them warn against washing in the washing machine, but we do anyway without a problem.
  • Keep bath toys tidy using a plastic basket or net.
  • Hang more towel racks.  It is amazing how many people don't do this!  If they really can't fit in the bathroom, you can hang them in bedrooms, perhaps on the back of the door. 
  • I like my bathroom to be an oasis of calm.  So I minimise the toiletries by placing any extras in the cupboard.  And by trying to get most members of the family to use the same shampoo, conditioner, shower gel and lotion.  I pop my razor in the cupboard to declutter and keep it out of reach of youngsters.
  • Always leave out hand towels for guests to use.  There is nothing more embarrassing than going to someone's house and having to dry your hands on their bath towel.  Even among friends I don't consider this hygienic!
  • We keep a basket of toiletry samples, cheap spare toothbrushes, and hotel freebies at the ready for overnight guests.  I am amazed at how many of my cheap toothbrushes I go through each year with guests forgetting theirs at home.  And if we run out of anything we always have a few things to get us through until we get to the shops.
I would love to hear from others about their top tips!

2 comments:

  1. Far les expensive than buying god glycerine soap from the health food shops...

    I recently ordered scent-free, clear glycerine soap in bulk. In a pinch, I've just lobbed some off a 1/2 kilo block of it and used but more fun with the kids is to melt it and add your own essential oils. My daughter had also adds shells and flowers from the garden to make them look more interesting. I've made yellow colour using olive oil and tumeric and orange by adding in paprika.

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a timely comment, as I have become obsessed with the idea of making cold processed soap lately. I am also looking into finding a source for glycerine soap which is all natural. Because I suspect it would be a fun soap to begin with. And you can add sorts of great things...so the turmeric doesn't turn you yellow??

    ReplyDelete