Friday, 18 March 2011

Hindu Lemonade

This lemonade is naturally fermented with a little fizz.  It is really easy to make, and has natural probiotics from the whey.  It is apparently safe for the whole family because there is very little alcohol in this type of fermentation. 

This is my first attempt, so I will have to see if I would like to adjust my proportions over time.

I used the recipe from  This is one of my favourite websites and a great resource for information on whole foods and Nourishing Traditions. 

You will need:

A 2 quart glass jar
juice from 6-8 fresh lemons and/or limes
1/2 cup whey
1/2 cup sucanat (I used demerara sugar we have here in the UK)
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
2 quarts filtered water

Combine all of the ingredients in a jar, leaving at least an inch of air at the top (I used slightly less than two quarts of water to achieve this.)  Seal with the lid.  Place on the countertop for two days.  Transfer to the fridge.  The lemonade will continue to develop its flavours over time, and can be stored in the fridge for a "while," whatever that means.  You can add some homemade natural sugar syrup or stevia (if you like it) for a sweeter taste. 

I need to put mine in several containers because I have a typical (read small) European style fridge.

Again, pictures will come later when I have sorted out my phone wire!


  1. I am liking this lemonade a lot. I think that I will try putting more lemons in it next time though because I like a tart lemonade. And I might skip the nutmeg. I often put a bit of sparkling water in my glass for a bit of refereshing fizz.

    Well worth the effort. And it is nice knowing that it is not only really low in sugar(without needing disgusting fake chemicals), but has a healthy probiotic boost!

  2. I can't believe how quickly this lemonade is disappearing. I will be making some more soon. I have a small glass each day, but it is half finished. But I think I will be trying out some homemade ginger beer next!

  3. I was quite busy taking care of a new baby and a still recovering-from-c-section me the last time I made this. And I actually left it out three days instead of two. It tasted a bit funny but I put it in the fridge to get a second opinion. After a little while mold was growing on top, and it had to be discarded. It was a realy shame because I had been looking forward to it for weeks. But I am up and running again and have a lovely batch in the fridge at the moment.