Wednesday 5 March 2014

Lent 2014

Today marks the beginning of Lent.  It is always a special time of the year when we are contemplating endings and new beginnings.  I spend a lot of the winter months reflecting and journaling and planning.  I am a planner.  And typically just as I plan unrealistic New Year's Resolutions I also take on un-achievable Lenten tasks.
I usually decide to give up chocolate or all sweets and only last about two days.  In recent years I have been taking a different approach.  One which seems to be working a bit better.  I have been using Lent as a reminder to slow down, spend less, argue less, plant more, share more and take care of my health.  I take some extra time for prayer and meditation.  For dreaming, planning and growth.  You cannot necessarily measure these things on the scales or on a chart.  I can only consider them in my own heart.
I have made some tentative plans to give up chocolate and I am also doing some decluttering in preparation for some family coming to visit at Easter.  I have found a great idea on Pinterest  (sorry I really cannot find the website again despite much effort!) which suggested throwing out or donating 40 items each day for 40 days (skipping Sundays).  More on that  here.

I have found a few other blogs with great ideas for families at this time of year:

Welcome to my domestic monastery 

and

Catholic Icing

Wishing you and your family a blessed season.

No comments:

Post a Comment