Wednesday 29 June 2011

Butter

Well, after studying information from the Weston A. Price Foundation, I am trying to review our fats.  I think this is an area where we are not doing too badly but that we need to make a few changes still.  I have long been an advocate of eating real food.  For example, I have always chosen to eat butter, preferably organic, rather than manufactured margarine.  Even these new fangled "heart healthy" spreads do not tempt me.  Firstly because my cholesterol is really quite low, secondly because they do not taste nice, and thirdly because I don't go out of my way to buy overly processed things when something natural will do.  (I do buy processed foods of many kinds, but that is for another day). 

According to the Foundation, however, I "should" be eating lots MORE butter, preferably raw from grass fed cows.  Well, we will see.  I don't have access to raw dairy products at all.  Or I should say that I choose not to buy a pint of milk and have to spend £10, (yes, it is true) to have it delivered.  Weekly.  So until I move or I buy a cow, the raw thing just isn't going to happen.  I do however have a source of dairy products which are not homogenized.  This is a good thing because it is less processing as well as being healthier according to my Nourishing Traditions Cookbook.  This is because homogenizing milk means that after heating through pasteurisation (and killing off helpful enzymes), the milk has the fat removed, then added back in in precise quantities.  The process itself isn't helpful or healthful. 

I have taken the bold step of ordering once again from Riverford Organic once again.  I wrote in another post about my misgivings about their veg and meat box schemes, as well as their dairy products which are not local to me at all.  But in the interests of health I would really like to try out their "healthier" milk products for a while to see if we like them.  I have ordered milk, butter and cream to make our own butter and buttermilk.

A few months ago I started buying whole cow and goats milk products.  Most of these are organic.  But this change to Riverford will ensure everything is organic and I am choosing their whole milk products.  Not sure what to do about goats milk, which we seem to digest more easily though...but I was trying to write about fats....

No comments:

Post a Comment