- They are usually not environmentally friendly due to their excessive packaging, transport costs, and some of the chemicals they contain. We can now recycle much of the packaging, but not making it and recycling it saves even more energy and resources.
- They often contain chemicals, including scents which are hazardous to pets, children, humans, and asthma/allergy sufferers (I have all of these residents in my home).
- There are cheaper alternatives. And I like cheaper.
- Even the so-called eco-friendly cleaners have some of the problems above.
- I have a natural tendency to rebel against relying on manufacturers for the basics in life. (I buy packaged foods and things but certainly have the ability to knock out a loaf of bread or biscuits if I want them instead of jumping in the car).
So I will be experimenting over the coming months. I am using up the commercial products we have and replacing them with cheaper, more natural alternatives.